Tuesday, May 12, 2009

36 weeks & 3 days

Just got home from this weeks doctors appointment with lost of stuff to share.
My Group B Strep test came back negative, woohoo! I am allergic to penicillin and sulfa antibiotics and most others make me VERY sick. I was really hoping to not add that to the list of labor pains.
I am 1.5 to 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced, so things are looking good!
We are going to take it week by week but my doctor estimates that Declan is about 7 to 7.5 pounds already. He is concerned about the fact that I have a small pelvic opening. He thinks the baby is at risk for shoulder dystocia. I told him that I want to have a vaginal birth and we came to the agreement that I will attempt to deliver vaginally but if things are not progressing properly I will have the c-section.
I just want what’s best for the baby. If he did get shoulder dystocia I would feel super guilty and selfish for making my baby suffer because I didn’t want a c-section. I have to think about him know, not just me.
Shoulder dystocia and/or macrosomia can cause serious life long issues if complications arise during labor. There is a possibility of injury to brachial plexus that could lead to Erb's or Klumpke's palsy. It can cause birth asphyxia, fracture of the clavicle, or cerebral palsy and other neurological sequlae.
If things don’t go naturally Doc said that we could induce as early as the 29th, in two weeks! Baby will be 39 weeks by then and ready to go! I hope he shows himself next week naturally. It will increase our chances of a natural birth and decrease his chances of injury.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Wow! It seems are boys will only be a month apart!!! All sounds good Vi. It's good you're keeping an open mind.

Maureen said...

"our" boys -- oops!

MissAnneThrope said...

congratulations! I can't wait to see pictures! :)