Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My fourteenth week is also finals week. I have been studying as much as possible even though I have been confined to sleep and the comfort of my mattress. I caught a really bad cold and luckily for me, pregnant women tend to get sicker and stay sick for longer than normal. I have been doing everything I can to help me get over this with out the use of medicine. I have had a vaporizer steaming the air and releasing menthol for three days. To help with the stuffed up nose I have been using nasal saline drops intended for babies. After researching around I found that no studies have been done to determine if menthol is harmful during pregnancies. It has, however, been classified as most likely not to cause any harm to our baby. I have been using it sparingly along with Tylenol to reduce my fever, aches and pains.
I am scared of my A&P lecture final that is on Saturday. I have been battling test anxiety ever since I started college. I find it so strange because I never had a problem in high school. Back then I didn’t have to study, I would just read the material and ace every test. Now I study my butt off but when I get the test in front of my I clam up and I cannot recall any of the information. It’s like my brain is hiding the information in a file, locked in a vault and it will not open the door until the test is complete and I am walking back to my car.
I went and saw a Hypnotherapists today. She taught me how to relax and self-hypnose, meditate, so I can lose all of my fear and anxiety before taking the test.
I really hope this works because my hormones are working over time and I have been feeling like a failure, like I am not cut out for this A&P nursing stuff. I am not the type of person to quit, so that is not an option. I am just having a hard time continuing on. I bet a lot of this is from not having any breaks. I was even taking classes and doing homework while we were in Australia. This year and a half has been pretty hard on Shane and I, a lot has happened good and bad.
Our alpha-fetoprotein tests are next week. I am a little nervous but I think things will be fine.
This week Shane has flown to Sacramento and then to Maui. He gets home tonight from Maui and then its back to Emanuel tomorrow. I think he got one day off all week.
Besides being sick my morning sickness hasn’t been as bad all week and hopefully next week I will have more energy.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

I had a breakdown just about every finals week in college. What the hell was I studying philosophy? Why do I feel like I'm the only one in the class who doesn't get it??? Tests freaked me out too and I'd draw a blank. I'd start scribbling anything that came to my head on scratch paper, jump around, and eventually either BS my way through it or miraculously, I'd figure it out. You know, the "ah hah!" moment and start scribbling furiously as the timer goes. Afterwards, of course, I'd find that I did ok and realize everyone else in the class was just about as freaked out as I was. Basically, you are totally cut out for this program because you are dedicated and you work hard. Try and take your mind off of it once in a while. Even during finals week, try and find a time completely to yourself to relax, eat something, nap, etc. Fatigue and stress can make everything so much worse.

Unknown said...

You are just absolutely beaming joy and love. My house is a little cold right now, but I swear I looked at your pics and it warmed up just a bit. :D