Saturday, April 25, 2009

34 weeks Elevated BP and trip to L&D

Yesterday, while at the grocery store I started to feel awful. I was hot, faint, dizzy and anxious my heart was racing and pumping hard. It was terrible but I finished my shopping anyways. I looked over while I was paying and saw a blood pressure machine and decided to see what it what it says. I was shocked to see that my bp was 155/83 with a pulse of 101. I took it 2 more times over the next few minutes and it remained equally as high. I called my mom who told me to call my doctor.
The on call doctor returned my call with in a few minutes and gave me the grim news that I should go to L&D and get tested to make sure I wasn’t preeclampsic. Shane had just left for Adelaide, AU, and it was 7:30pm so going to the hospital was the last thing I wanted to do. I thought the numbers would fix themselves but my mom was persistent that I go the hospital and that she would take me.
Once I got there they got me all strapped into the fetal heart rate and contraction monitors and got my arm in an automatic bp cuff. My blood pressure was still high for a little while but Declan’s hr was perfect. He was being such a wiggly worm it was hard to keep track of his heart rate for more than 15 minutes at a time. He is such a silly little guy. My mom was just amazed by how active he was and she was just plain giddy about getting to feel and see so many movements and to hear his little heart beating away.
After two hours all of my lab work came back normal and my bp was 122/80 so I got to go home. They think that a combination of salty food, I had Indian food for dinner the night before, sun shine and not enough water caused my bp to go up. I had drank about 64 ounces of water but I guess I just need more than that. I have had those same symptoms through out this pregnancy but I never had a cuff to check my bp. A couple years before I was pregnant I had lost 50 pounds because I had borderline high bp and my lipid bipanel was a little concerning. I have gained 40 pounds so far and I think it is a little more than my body can comfortably handle. I think it will be best if I remove most of the sodium from my diet. I don’t eat much processed foods but I am going to remove what little I was eating. No more tofu dogs!

No comments: