Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Lead

I bought a lead testing kit today containing two lead indicator sticks. It was quite expensive at $8.00 per kit but I had to find out for sure whether or not my old claw foot tub was covered in lead enamel. For about 30 seconds I was super happy, the test was negative! I decided to test the bottom of the tub where there is quite a bit of wear I pulled the stick up and it was bright red. Darn. I think the tub was re-finished some time ago and in the bottom it has worn through to the old lead based covering. I need to find out how I can avoid any more lead exposure than I have already had. I figure if I get one of those thick rubber bath mats I will have a good barrier between me and the lead.
I checked the dust in the living room and it cam up negative. Thank god! If we had lead dust in the house I would have to mop and wet dust every single day to keep Deco safe.
The other place that tested positive is the door to Declan’s room. I need to have Shane pull it off, cover it in an oil-based primer and then paint it with a fresh coat of latex. I guess I know now why a few of the doors were pulled off and in the garage when Shane moved in. Damn, keeping you kids safe is hard. I can’t believe how much in everyday life is so bad for them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just remember...

"God made dirt and dirt don't hurt."

I suppose I'll get the joy of testing for lead when I move. Woo hoo! The crib looks really cute, btw. I'm still chugging away on the blanket. I will definitely have it done before the baby is. :)