Saturday, February 21, 2009

25 weeks

Wow, Declan is so strong now! I actually felt a foot the other night. He spends a lot more time awake and moving around through out the day now. It feels so weird when he pushes his leg up and then glides his foot across my uterus. I have been looking for new way to stimulate and play with him. I will respond to his kicks and we will go back and forth a bit. I also found that new things catch his interest like, placing a bag of ice on my tummy or something warm. In a dark room I can put a flashlight against my skin and feel him moving to check it out. It’s so cool! I am so excited to him.
I am terrified and overwhelmed by the spotting. My OB is concerned that it is still happening. He fears that I may have a mild abruptio placentae aka placenta abruption.
I thought after the ultrasound that things were fine, come to find out that there is only a 30-50% chance of seeing and diagnosing placenta abruption via ultrasound. In fact, most cases are not diagnosed until after the placenta is delivered. The amount of blood loss varies from woman to woman from none at all to massive hemorrhaging. This puts the mother and babies life at risk and a c-section inevitable. The amount of blood and nutrients that reach the baby are lessened and premature labor is a major concern. My OB said at this point we aren’t worried about miscarriage, but premature labor is a possibility. At 25 weeks or Declan only has a 50% chance of survival outside the womb.
The Doc told me to take is easy and now I am wondering what in hell that means. Taking it easy to one person may be pushing it to another. I am going to call on Monday and clarify, find out exactly what he meant.
I mean, the odds are low but the fact that our OB even thinks it is a possibility is absolutely terrifying. Wish Declan and I luck!

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Oh my goodness. Even if they think it's a small chance, it's still terrifying to think about! I'll bet everything's fine, they just want to make sure you take it easy to be sure. From what you say, it sounds like Declan is as active as can be. Also, as I'm sure you know at this point the baby's chance of pre-term birth survival goes up dramatically with each week. At 27 weeks, it's greater than 90%. Hang in there and try not to get too stressed out.